Tuesday, November 9, 2010

How to tour your work abroad - Miguel Gutierrez

How to tour your work abroad by Miguel Gutierrez

I was just reading this article as I'm gaining insight on touring tips and information. My company and I are in the middle of reconstructing Chameleon, applying for grants to tour to China, keeping in contact with a school in China, and hopefully fostering an exchange with a local Chinese dance company as well while we're there. The article written by Miguel was like words and thoughts right out of my mouth and head. I needed a confirmation that an "emerging" choreographer went through what I'm going through right now. I'm at a crossroads, I want to spend more time in the studio working on my craft rather than worrying about money/funding/income, administrative tasks, marketing the work, and applying for festivals, showcases, residencies, grants, etc. Luckily I have a little help on the grants front. I wish I can stay on top of things better but there's only so much one person can do and keep track of. I like to think of myself as pretty savvy in terms of social media, networking, making new friends and allies. I just don't like "selling" myself - the integrity of the work and myself feels cheapened by the act of it. But if I don't tell people what I do, then who is going to find out what I do? Dilemma....

Until then...

SAVE THE DATE!!!!
Dec. 4, 2010. 7-11 pm. Stone Creek Bar. 140 E. 27th St, New York, NY 10016.
A.H. Dance Company Annual Holiday Fundraiser.
Celebrate my 27th birthday. (I turn 27 this month on the 27th! - in lieu of gifts, I'm asking for donations to help fund the tour to China)
A.H. Dance Company turns 3 years old as we go into our 4th season.

No comments:

Post a Comment