Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Third Culture Kid Spotlight: Rafika

I met up with Rafika and her friend Kimberly in Vienna over Christmas. With TCK meet ups, it was like meeting old friends. In my experience with meeting a lot of TCKs and long time expats, the global connection makes us feel like we "get it". Its a family community of sorts. 


L-R: Kim, Me, Rafika in Vienna





1. What is your name?
Rafika

2. Where were you born?
Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania

3. What is your heritage?
Both of my parents are Indonesian

4. Where have you lived and how long at each place?
Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania, 0-2 years old  (2 years)
Geneva, Switzerland, 2-4 years (2 years, I can't exactly recall because I think 

we went to Indonesia for a few months before going to Switzerland)
Depok, Indonesia (kindergarten and elementary, around 2-3 years)
Helsinki, Finland (4,5 years, elementary)
Depok, Indonesia (3, years, junior high school)
Paramaribo, Indonesia (3 years, high school)
Jakarta, Indonesia (4 years, bachelor)
Vienna, Austria (4 years, masters)

5. What is your definition of "home" and how is it different from those around you?
Home is any situation that can make me feel accepted and content, whether it be the current residence, family, friends, pets, hobbies, passions, and life partner/future family. Some people might define home as their birthplace, parents' countries, or where they grew up. I was born in Tanzania, my parents are from Indonesia, and I grew up in different countries, so either I don't know which to consider as home or I would call all those as my homes.





6. Where do you consider "home" and why?
The whole world is home for me. It is everywhere and the homes that I have lived in before even though it is unlikely I will ever come back. I feel belongingness not only just one specific country. Since my homes are scattered, I see the world as home for all human beings.

7. Do you have interests in the following: foreign languages, international relations, travelling, international politics, different cultures of the world, etc...  Yes/No If so, do you think your background has helped you develop these interests?
I like learning foreign languages and I would love to use my background for a greater impact, although right now, I am  still searching that one job that can make me feel fulfilled.

8. What are your thoughts on globalization? Current political situation?
I think there is positive and negative consequence. Globalization can emphasize differences of cultures, due to the communication technology that connects the world, allowing internet users to learn different customs without having to be there, but it can also erase diversity since there is a uniformity of cultures through the shared communication culture.

9. How are your thoughts on world affairs different from those around you?
I tend to see it more from an observer, open-minded, global perspective, usually concluding that there needs to be more progress

10. Do you plan on incorporating a large amount of travel with your career?
Yes, would love to.


Laughing while trying to get the selfie stick to work..


Rafika is currently working on gathering TCKs for an anthology to document the diversity of TCK stories from around the world. If you identify as a TCK please fill out her form http://bit.ly/2rZgcIv

No comments:

Post a Comment