Monday, July 3, 2017

Third Culture Kid Spotlight: Gabby





Gabby is a travel blogger and TCK, just like me. You can find her blog at Packs Light, an interesting girl who is passionate about travel, life, and making the world a better place.


1. What is your name?



Gabrielle, but you can call me Gabby! 



2. Where were you born?



San Diego, California, USA.


3. What is your heritage?


My father is 100% Jamaican.

My mother is 25% Italian, 25% Finnish, and 50% Cherokee-American mix.


4. Where have you lived and how long at each place?



California, USA - 1 year
Missouri, USA - 1 year
Virginia, USA - 5 years
Okinawa, Japan - 3 years
Virginia - 12 years
Dubai, UAE - 1 year
Virginia - currently





5. What is your definition of "home" and how is it different from those around you?



Home is not yet a concept to me. Home is whatever space I'm in at the time where I'm comfortable, and can hang my clothes up in a closet.

Other people may consider home where you've lived the longest or even where the majority of their family is, but that's just not how it is for me. I think I'll consider home where I start my career or find my significant other.


6. Do you have interests in the following: foreign languages, international relations, travelling, international politics, different cultures of the world, etc...  Yes/No If so, do you think your background has helped you develop these interests?

Yes I do! I actually have won multiple study abroad scholarships, and my year in Dubai was spent studying Middle Eastern studies and Arabic. I'm finishing up my degree in Mathematics now, but hope to get a career in international relations or international business.




7. What are your thoughts on globalization? Current political situation?

Globalization in an inevitability of the world. The more interconnected the world becomes, between governments and cultures and business, the better it is for all of us. Of course I think it's important to remember ones culture and geniology and respect it, I think it's more important to be globally aware.

8. How are your thoughts on world affairs different from those around you?


As I said, I try to have a more global and culturally relative perspective. My favorite quotes are, "You can't hate someone when you know their story", and "History will repeat itself".

9. Do you plan on incorporating a large amount of travel with your career?


Inshallah!



Thanks for sharing your story Gabby! 




2 comments:

  1. Interesting. If you are the one wanting TCK interviews, I definitely volunteer. I was born in the West Indies, in Haiti, of American parents, commuted back and forth every five years until college, then was in the US full time except for one semester I taught in Mexico, in 2001. I've been teaching ESL in Thailand since 2010, but now planning to return to the US for health reasons. I speak English, Creole, Spanish, French, and Thai, but only completely fluent in Creole, although I can get along in the other languages, even read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel! I would love to interview you. Could you send me an email at ahdancecompany@gmail.com
      I'll email you the questions and details I need from you :-)

      Delete